These daily tested and proven tips tackle postpartum hair loss head on; reducing shedding and speeding up the return of thicker, fuller and healthier-looking hair.
First, why does postpartum hair loss happen?
Hair grows in cycles: active growth, transition and resting. Rising oestrogen levels in pregnancy are thought to slow the rate at which hair moves into the resting (shedding) cycle. In the months following childbirth, hormones settle and the larger volume of hair we’ve held on to moves out of the transition phase. Shedding then seems significant and visible thinning or sparse patches appear across the hairline or crown.
Will postpartum hair loss stop?
As hair resettles into a regular growth cycle, postpartum shedding should slow and stop from around the six month’s mark. Every case is different though. You may also wish to address excess hair loss sooner, reduce its impact and reinstate fuller, healthier-looking growth, faster.
What to do about it | Our clinically proven hair loss treatment
Award-winning Pitta growth serum is our industry-leading, natural hair growth scalp treatment. Hundreds of thousands of our Chāmpo converts hail it as a hair growth hero while independent clinical and consumer trials* have proven its exceptional results in reducing hair loss and shedding while reviving visibly thicker, fuller hair (read all about them here). No surprise, then, that it’s a particular bestseller for those experiencing postpartum hair loss and shedding.
Laura, Chāmpo convert
“I love this. I swear it’s even helping with my postpartum hair loss.”
Celine, Chāmpo convert
“I had really bad hair loss post-pregnancy. This has helped reduce the amount which has fallen out since, helped my hair grow back a lot quicker than it normally would have and really helped strengthen it back up.”
Light and non-greasy, Pitta growth serum fits easily (and pleasurably) into your daily haircare routine. Each morning or evening, apply 1-2 drops onto an area of concern and massage it in with your fingertips.
Prevention vs cure
The Ayurvedic science behind our brand strongly advocates prevention over cure… as do we. If you aren’t already using Pitta growth serum in your daily routine, we advise you begin at the start of pregnancy - like you might vitamin supplements. Everyday use ensures scalp tone is optimised; maintaining and protecting an environment on which strong, healthy hair can grow.
Top 4 ways to care for postpartum hair
While strong, healthy hair grows back, there are a few more ways you can optimise its care.
- Be gentle | Take extra care with washing, brushing and styling. As a new mum, it’s easy to pop hair in a pony or bun… avoid anything too tight that will put strain on your scalp and hair.
- Tailor your care | Switch to a lightweight, trichologically formulated shampoo and conditioner - like our Pitta volumising collection - to target your concerns. SLS- and silicone-free, these award-winning formulas invigorate the scalp, strengthen every strand and enhance volume, leaving hair manageable and glossy.
- Massage your scalp | A weekly 10-20 minute scalp massage offers huge rewards for hair and scalp health. It’s believed to stimulate hair follicles, enhance scalp tone and boost blood, oxygen and nutrient flow, which in turn promote healthy growth, shine, strength and fullness. (Follow our massage technique here) Our tip? While Pitta growth serum should be used every day, we love including this in a weekly head massage. Dot 3-4 drops across your scalp before you begin.
- Eat well | A healthy diet works wonders for hair’s strength, nourishment and growth. Ensure your intake of protein, iron, whole foods and vitamins remains high, so that your body and hair receive the nutrients they need to thrive. (Read more in our Feed your hair article)
* Independent User trial studies 2022. Results based on a 100 person and separate 30 person study, applying once daily over 12 weeks.