The beauty of Ayurveda is that it isn’t an all-or-nothing discipline.Instead, it gives us guidelines, small and big, to work with to make riding this wave of modern life easier. Adopt one, two or all, whatever’s best for you. Each time, you’ll notice a difference - a rebalance, how better tuned you are to body and mind, how happier and healthier you feel.
Hair and AyurvedaAyurveda considers hair a vital tissue, primarily due to its proximity to our central nervous system. That means that these easy, mindful haircare rituals, done in just minutes each day or week, make the world of difference to reducing stress, increasing energy and empowering wellbeing.
Show your scalp some love
The Sanskrit word ‘sneha’ means both ‘oil’ and ‘love’. Ayurveda holds essential and base oils in high regard and has long used both medicinally and therapeutically.
We harness Ayurvedic oils, supported by select anti-hair-loss actives, in our advanced scalp treatment, Pitta growth serum. Spend a few minutes each day massaging this trichologically formulated complex into the whole scalp or areas of concern. Soothing and stimulating, it’s designed to tackle stress-related scalp issues such as hair loss, thinning or dandruff, plus helps harmonise scalp tone and promote healthier condition for strong hair growth.
Our head is covered with vital energy points (called ‘marmas’ in Sanskrit) that connect to channels throughout the mind and body. Gentle pressure on them helps stimulate the flow of energy, enabling healing to begin. This likely explains why the chāmpo ritual of ‘massaging and cleansing the head and hair’ has been so crucial to Ayurvedic practice since at least the 7th century. Simply put, it’s a small-scale commitment delivering big rewards:
- Improvements in anxiety, tension, immunity, energy and sleep
- Better circulation of oxygen, blood and nutrients around the scalp
- Hair follicle stimulation and enhanced scalp tone
Aim to regularly enjoy 10+ minutes of head massage, performed best with the soft bristles of our Shampoo brush. Pair it with Pitta growth serum for even better results:
Scalp massage in 5 easy steps
1. Loosen hair and apply 3-4 drops of serum across whole scalp or directly on areas of concern.
2. Start at side of head. Maintain light contact with brush and move in small, circular motions upwards.
3. At top of head, lift brush away and move to a different area - repeat step 2 until entire scalp is massaged.
4. Place brush down. Bring one hand to forehead and the heel of your other hand to the back of your head. Use fingertips to briskly rub scalp for about a minute.
5. Stroke brush smoothly through hair from forehead to nape of neck for at least a minute. Decrease pressure each time until brush naturally lifts away.
So, how about self-Abhyanga?
The effects of stress on hair and scalp health are well-documented, so we needn’t dwell. When looking to keep stress in check, why not venture beyond the scalp to the body?
‘Abhyanga’ is the Sanskrit term for a massage using warm, natural oil and it’s so easy to do at home. Taking just minutes each week, this practice is grounding, de-stressing, re-balancing and relaxing. It stimulates circulation and organ function, detoxes and improves sleep quality - all benefitting body, mind and, of course, hair health.
- Warm your bottle of chosen oil in a hot water bath and sit or lie comfortably on a towel.
- Pour a little oil in your hands and start the massage at your feet, working in long, smooth strokes upwards for 10-20 minutes.
- Wrap yourself in a cosy dressing gown and relax for 40 minutes.
- As massage releases toxins, shower to rinse away the oil. Don’t worry though, its skin-nourishing benefits will linger on.
It’s long been believed that the chemicals in essential oils interact with our inner systems through the olfactory system, provoking powerful physical and emotional benefits. This includes helping us relax, feel energised, find clarity and even cool or warm our bodies.
When crafting the bespoke essential oil blends for our Vata, Pitta and Kapha hair systems, we used those Ayurveda deems most effective and synergistic for each Dosha’s needs:
Vata | Warms, calms and uplifts the mood with its blend of Jasmine Absolute, Australian Sandalwood and Patchouli.
Pitta | Cools, calms and grounds the spirit through fresh, sweet notes of Geranium, Himalayan Jatamansi, Neroli and Petitgrain.
Kapha | Harmonises, energises and revitalises with its inspiring aroma of Bergamot, Juniper Berry, Eucalyptus and Frankincense.
So, next time you shampoo, condition, treat and style hair with Chāmpo, breathe deeply and enjoy a wellbeing boost!